It is with this perspective that the Department of Botany was functionally started in L.O.K.D. College in 1992 for generating qualified human resources in the field of Biological Science as well as to strengthen the educational base of the college in science stream. With this modest beginning, the department has completed nearly 25 years of its existence to attain the present setup and status of a full fledged science department of the college.
The broad objectives of Botany Department are:
1. To serve as a full fledged Science department of the college for generating science graduates with knowledge and skill in the field of Biological science in the region.
2. To carry out teaching, research and developmental programmes in botanical and biological sciences.
3. To prepare the students with enhanced career prospects in the field of Botany, Bio-resources and allied fields.
4. To contribute towards capacity building of the college in science education as one of the major science departments.
1. Introduction of Major Course in Botany from 2001-2001.
2. introduction of semester system in TDC for upgradation of teaching-learning system from 2011 under the guidance of Gauhati University.
3. Programmed and time bound academic schedule through classroom instructions, laboratory activities and field visits and educational tours.
4. Classroom teachings-strengthened with practical activities and field exposures.
5. Satisfactory results by students qualifying major in Botany.